Join us at the LSP Conference – and please some to a session or two in the uWeb track. All our sessions are in the South Meeting Room – the full conf. is in Newcomb Hall, UVA. Details below. See you there.
E-mail Is Not Dead
Session 1 (10:15 AM–11:00 AM)
E-mail marketing is often the No. 1 overlooked means of engagement for any organization or business. Being able to directly reach your target market, including your most loyal supporters, is very much equivalent to having an investment in the bank. While social media is usually touted as a primary way to build audience, when it comes to online marketing, e-mail can still be the most successful and profitable means of interacting with your readership. We’ll discuss list-building strategies; the good, the bad, and the ugly of possible content strategies; and how to increase your open and click rates.
Fake It Till You Make It: Web Management for People Who had it Thrust on Them
Session 2 (11:15 AM–12:00 Noon)
“Who can handle the website?” your boss’s boss says from the front of room. *no one makes eye content* “Bob,” he says, “you’re a ‘tech-y person,’ right? You can handle it, right, Bobbo?” If you’re “Bobbo”, we’re here to help. We’ll give you a high level overview of web management, a list of helpful resources, and ample time to ask your burning questions.
- John Rhea, Webmaster, Curry School of Education
- Carey Hill, Web Developer, University Communications
- Derrick Stone, Director, Web Development Center, University of Virginia Health System
- Cheryl Gearhart, Systems Analyst, ITS – Custom Applications and Consulting Services
SEO Panel: from novice to expert
Session 3 (1:15 PM–2:00 PM)
More people visit Target.com then visit Target. The same is true for your department. And a first time visitor, to nearly every website, gets there by searching, or since Google is by far the biggest search engine, they “google it.”
If your site doesn’t show up in the top results – then neither do the visitors. You may have spent a boat load of money on your site, but it is an sinking boat if it is not Search Engine Optimized. How do you float that boat? All it takes is a little know-how and a little work.
- Jonelle Kinback (moderator), Web Programmer, University Marketing Communications
- Amy Sarah Marshall, SEO Specialist, Medical Center
- Nick Skriloff, Senior Systems Engineer, Darden School of Business
uWeb Flight (short sessions)
Session 4 (2:15 PM–3:00 PM)
uWeb flights are 10-20 minute sessions that are designed to showcase your work with cutting edge technology, new solutions and emerging trends. This is also an opportunity to get new information out to the uWeb community.
- Jonelle Kinback, Web Programmer and Project Manager, University Marketing Communications
- Ryan Catherwood, Director for Engagement Strategy, University Advancement
- Alaric Hammell, University Advancement
- Abena Foreman-Trice, Content Manager , Darden Graduate School of Business
- Jacqui Lazo, Editor, Darden Graduate School of Business
- Valerie Harness, Web & Social Media Manager, Darden Graduate School of Business